Wednesday, May 17

What's that in the sky?

Bostonites! Could it be the sun? I'm in a state of disbelief - waking up at 6:30 and having my windows bathed in light? Joy! Instead of running outside to frolic, I scrambled out of bed to blog.
Gentleman's Fancy Socks - done!
As I've said, the socks are done - and covered in cat hair because I've been wearing them around the house a lot. Not much left to say about them... I'd definitely knit them again (and I might have to if Brian is set on this pattern - we could match!)

New England sock progress
Hilarie's sock! Look at that neat-o striping. I love it, and luckily it's not obscuring the pattern at all. I really like using variegated yarn double-stranded; it lets all the different tones come through at once. It's a nice effect - I used some Diakieto double-stranded for my One-skein Wonder last year and it's one of my favorite and most wearable FO's. Anyway, these socks - I like the pattern, the lacy ribbing makes it interesting (even though I'm a little tired of all the double decreases).

progress on Forecast
A little more Forecast progress... oh, the ribbing. I'm almost through the 3rd skein, almost done with the ribbing on the body. Hopefully the next picture will be a modeled one!

from The Draughtsman's Contract
Last week I rented The Draughtsman's Contract, another Peter Greenaway. As with the others, I loved the way it was shot (the composition and framing inside Mr. Neville's grid) and the dialogue was spot on - quick and sharp. The story was pure Greenaway, and I'm not sure if I've really absorbed all of it yet. It definitely warrants a second viewing.

from Bleu
I also watched the first film in Krzysztof Kieslowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy, Bleu. Kieslowski's The Decalogue is one of my favorite works of film, ever, so I don't know why I've put off seeing this series for so long. I loved Blue, I really did. There's so much to be said for quiet films. Juliet Binoche was wonderful - this was just a pleasure to watch, each and every shot, even though the content was rather sad (she loses her daughter and composer husband in a car crash in the film's opening). I'm looking forward to the next two films in the trilogy.
from Bleu
One of my favorite shots from the film.

Just a reminder - if any of you reading out there have a Netflix account, I'd love to have you as a Netflix friend! That way we can see each other's ratings and queues, get recommendations, etc. It's one of my favorite parts of having a Netflix account. You can leave your email in the comments and I'll send you an invite, or you can send one to me! My email's on my blogger profile page.

Oh, and a life update: my boys turned one year old on Sunday!
birthday Briscoe
birthday Fry
They got a new scratch pad, catnip toy, and spinny mouse-toy-apparatus... sort of like this but without a motor. They went on a big, rolling catnip binge and seem to be pretty content in their new maturity.

Oh, and if you want to see a few preliminary pictures from that wedding we went to in Maryland, check out my Flickr photostream! That's all for now... I'm off to enjoy the sun a bit.