Thursday, April 20

Spontaneous Dyeing Incident

You are not going to believe what I did last night.

I dyed yarn.


Shield your eyes, it's hideous!


After seeing Alison's wonderfully colorful, vibrant, self-striping post, I thought to myself, "Jenna, why haven't you dyed yarn yet? You have over 4 pounds (four cones, three skeins) of natural, undyed yarn tucked away in closets and drawers. You have about 30 packets of KoolAid that you've been collecting for over year in anticipation. What's stopping you?"

I'll say one thing. Spontaneous dyeing? Probably not the best idea.

I made mistakes, and I learned. But at least I got my first time out of the way, and thank GOD I used KoolAid and not acid/procion dye (did I mention that I poked the dyebath with my finger... and then tasted it? More than once?) I do plan to place an order for some professional dyes, and soon (I'm signing up for Dye-O-Rama - you all should too!) but using them will require a lot more preparation and mindfulness.

The flavors I used? Ice Blue Berry Lemonade (the first dyebath I made... my fingers were bright blue until I remembered the baking soda trick), Wild Watermelon Kiwi (a nice option if stores near you don't carry Lemon Lime - mine don't), and Jamaica. I was hoping Jamaica would be... a little less vibrant and more pink than it was. I put in just one packet and the water turned dark red. Good to know for the future, though. Oh, and what I realized when I was winding it into a skein? The stripes aren't going to go blue-green-red... they're going to be blue-green-red-green. This is what happens when you don't think ahead.

So, it's ugly. Really ugly. Clown socks. But I made it. The bottom line here is that I'm not a natural. But I want to learn!