Wednesday, March 15

Bad blogger! Bad!

Wow, everyone. I apologize for disappearing! But you see, this is my life right now:
I've been flat on my back for the past few days with severe back and left leg pain. After a somewhat worthless visit to my school's health clinic, I finally made it to an orthopedist in Brookline today. Well, folks, mama's got a herniated disc! What you see in front of you is a lovely mix of neurontin, flexeril, and naproxen, which will hopefully let me return to my regularly scheduled life. I hope you haven't given up on me in my absence - once all these drugs kick in and I'm not constantly in pain, I'll be able to put my mind to it better. Also, a recommendation to anyone in the Boston area: if you're ever having back problems, Dr. Saechin Kim is seriously excellent.

I apologize for the lack of photos, but... I can't bend over to pick anything up! I'm making good progress on the Gentleman's Fancy Socks - the pattern is basically all 2x2 ribbing, but somehow it's not entirely boring! The calf shaping helps, and so does the 8-row repeat (something to work towards, you know?) The colors, however, are spiraling, which is a little disappointing but I'll live. My Beaverslide order got held up a bit but it's finally on it's way here, so I'll probably cast on for Forecast the moment it gets here! I'm excited to start a new sweater project. I feel like this one is going to banish all the knitting malaise I've been feeling lately. It's sad, because of this back thing I'm really unmotivated to do ANYTHING, even knit! I can't wait until this is over.

Even if my knitting life has been unproductive, I've been watching a ton of movies! Let's see. The first was Une Vraie Jeune Fille, directed by Catherine Breillat:
This is Breillat's first film, I believe, and her style hasn't changed very much (although it has developed). This is an utterly Breillat film, but it's no Fat Girl (although I saw some similarities in their endings). The plot is much more superficial. It was okay to watch, but not what I'd recommend to a Breillat initiate.

Last Saturday I dragged poor Brian to a midnight showing of Alexandre Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes. I was really excited to see this - I've been watching clips of it for months, and I really liked Haute Tension (in French, not dubbed!). His films have a great energy and they're inventive, at least where gore is concerned.
This remake is a great tribute to Wes Craven's original, which I also happen to like a lot:
The story is mostly consistent and many of the plot elements that I liked from the first were included in the second. A lot of people are harping on Aja's added element of nuclear testing and mutation, saying it's a "message movie" (nukes are bad! wow, what a message) but come on, Hills is total, balls out, bloody horror film. And I loved it! Brian, however, did not.

The last movie of note that I've watched is Australian John Hillcoat's The Proposition, written by Nick Cave. I would post still after still from this if I could - it's like watching a painting in motion. Doesn't this look like a painting?
The story is pretty much a Western, set in 1880's Australia (if you've seen Rabbit-Proof Fence, it's around that time I think). The scenery is starkly beautiful. There's no clear-cut hero or villain - the film does a good job of staying objective and showing many different sides of the situation. I found the story rather compelling, and I think the film gave an interesting view of that period in Australia's history. Guy Pearce was the leading man, but in my opinion Ray Winstone stole the show as the heavily burdened Captain Stanley (married, in the film, to the lovely Emily Watson):
This film is violent, yes, unflinchingly so, but it's true to the time it portrays and doesn't linger on the violence. It just fits. The score is haunting and inventive (at points). It's going to be a while until this is released in the US, unfortunately. I feel really lucky that I got my hands on it. Just one more still:

As I've said, I'll be back in full force very soon. Thanks for your patience!