Wednesday, February 22

Une étrange aventure de Lemmy Caution

I set some very lofty goals for the Knitting Olympics, failing to take into account a visit from my mother this past weekend - I barely got a stitch in during her time here. There are projects I intended to finish that still haven't been touched (Lady Eleanor, sleeves for Rogue...) so I think I'll extend this crusade indefinitely. Must finish 6-month-old projects! Post-Olympics I'll try not to start any new projects... but no promises.

So, progress on those neglected pieces that have gotten some attention:
Ohhh these socks are so close to being done, I can feel it. I took this picture yesterday afternoon - now I'm almost almost to the toe. These socks fit VERY snug, which I like, but I'm hoping they'll loosen up a bit after washing. I find the structure and tailoring very pleasing, and the pattern is simple enough to knit without thinking about it (but the resulting sock is still interesting). Bravo, Grumperina!

Butterfly is looking a little rumpled, due to prolonged behind-the-pillow storage (I caught someone chewing on it when it was just stored in my purse). But aside from that, she's definitely moving along. I ordered the specific Rowan beads all the way from the UK, which probably wasn't necessary, but they're sooooo pretty. I also went down a needle size, to US7, because I figure the lace will block to my shape anyway. I'll focus on this once the sock is done.

Tina is ready to be blocked (or mangled by tiny claws):

Tina shawl from Fiddlesticks in Daffodil Zephyr
I've heard of many techniques for blocking in small spaces, but a) I have no carpet, and b) my mattress isn't big enough... and I need to sleep on it, anyway. So I might bring it out to Brian's house, where there's ample room and ample carpet. I need about 50 more pins, though - this shawl is a beast. A soft, gorgeous beast.


Dites donc, c'est pas Alphaville qui faut appeler votre patelin, c'est zéroville!

I'll start by saying that I love French films. I love French in general (after taking two semesters worth last summer) and having a loose grasp of the language makes the films so much better. There are little quirks and subtleties that don't come through in the subtitles. So, about Alphaville: it's a film that wouldn't work if it wasn't French. It's film noir with surrealist tinges. Alphaville, where logic is king and the bible is your dictionary. Where you're executed for crying at your wife's funeral - it's not logical behavior.
I loved the voice of Alpha 60 (or Alpha Soixante) and I loved the voice-over monologues and interrogation scenes. I'm generally not a huge fan of existentialism (then why are you watching Godard, Jenna) but it worked here.

Ohhh Anna Karina, "le joli sphinx." Does she make this film worth watching? Maybe. Yes.